1 Tbsp of Prasad Ayurveda plain organic ghee or Prasad Gourmet Garlic Ginger Ghee
½ tsp cumin seeds whole
½ tsp hing /asafoetida or garlic (if using plain ghee)
1/2 Tbsp dried parsley
½ Tbsp oregano
1 Tbsp of dried basil
¼ tsp thyme
1 Bay leaf
1 tsp paprika powder
1 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp Sugar
½ Tbsp salt
250 ml of tomato puree or diced tomatoes
250 ml of water
2 large carrots
Tomatoes are a more acidic food and to counter this we like to make our pasta sauce by blending cooked carrots with the tomato.
• Cut the carrots into roughly one inch pieces.
• Add to a small pot with enough water to barely cover the carrots.
• Turn on the heat to medium-high and cover.
• Remove from the heat once the carrots are well cooked
• Blend the carrots and any remaining water, using a hand held blender into a puree and set aside.
• Heat the ghee on medium temperature in a good size sauce pan.
• Add the cumin seeds to the ghee till they are just barely toasted, and then add the hing (or garlic) (careful not to burn otherwise it will taste bitter; remove from heat if it starts to smoke).
• Remove from the heat and let it cool for a minute so it doesn’t splatter when you add the remaining ingredients.
• Add the tomato and carrot puree, the water, and the remaining spices (dried parsley, oregano, basil, thyme, bay leaf, paprika powder, black pepper, Sugar, and salt.
• Let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Add to your favourite pasta and enjoy!